My daughter loves to take granola bars to school for snack. I started looking a bit closer at the ingredient list, and let’s just say I began a mission to find a homemade granola bar recipe. I love Lauren’s Latest blog and this recipe came from her site….it’s so easy and delicious. My favorite part is that you can completely control the ingredients and customize the bars however you might like. I started simple today but can’t wait to play around adding new things!
To Make Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Granola Bars you will need:
- 1 cup of gluten free rice krispies
- 2 cups of gluten free granola
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- chocolate chips, if desired
To make the bars:
- Mix the rice krispies and granola together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Mix butter, brown sugar, and honey together in a sauce pan and cook over medium to high heat.
- Once the mixture starts to bubble turn down the heat to low to medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook for two minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Lightly grease a jelly roll pan and press the mixture into the pan. I pushed the mixture to one side to make sure my bars were pretty thick. You can totally make these bars however thick or thin you might like.
- If desired sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Let bars cool for an hour or so before cutting.
*I actually made two batches of these today. The second batch wasn’t gluten free and used 2 cups of oats in place of the granola.
*You could add raisins, flax seed, nuts, cinnamon, white chocolate chips, etc! Have fun making these super simple bars!