Sometimes it’s just fun to see what I can make. I have never had much luck making a cake from scratch…..I usually start with a box mix and add to it. However, I found this chocolate cupcake recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction. I have made several recipes from her site, and they are always perfect! I used her exact cake recipe only I added an Oreo in the bottom and made my own cream cheese icing. These were fantastic so I thought I would share!
- 1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature*
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil (melted coconut oil works too)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk*
*Eggs must be at room temp for the cupcakes to set up correctly and the buttermilk is a must to keep the cupcakes moist.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of salted butter (softened)
- 1- 8 oz package of cream cheese (softened)
- 1- 2lb bag of powdered sugar (around 8 cups)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
Cupcake Directions: (makes around 20)
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with liners and place an oreo in the bottom of each one.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently stir – about 5 stirs. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until *just* combined; do not overmix. The batter won’t be very thick.
- Pour batter into the liners and fill about 2/3 full
- Bake 18-19 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool while you make frosting.
- Mix the butter and cream cheese on med-high speed in your mixer until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Add in half of the powdered sugar and mix.
- Add in the whipping cream and the remaining powdered sugar.
- If you need a thicker icing don’t use all of the whipping cream. To thin the icing you just add more whipping cream
- I topped my cupcakes with lots of icing and sprinkled crumbled oreos on top of some and an entire oreo on others! Have fun and enjoy!