I was asked to make some cookies for a butterfly/bug themed party. So here’s what I created:
Super fun cookies to make!
2 cups of unsalted butter at room temperature (4sticks)
2 cups of white granulated sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
3 teaspoons of vanilla (can use almond flavor here too)
6 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp of salt
Here is what I do:
1. Cream the butter and sugar
2. add eggs and mix
3. add vanilla and mix
4. mix salt and flour and whisk together
5. slowly add the flour to the creamed butter mixture
6. mix on low approx 30 sec then scrape the sides and mix again
7. It is mixed when it clumps around the paddle
I divide the dough into 4 sections and roll it out on parchment paper- 4 separate sheets with 4 separate dough circles (use rolling pin and roll out) and then I refrigerate the dough for an hour or overnight.
Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 375 for 12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet.
For the royal icing:
- 3 Tablespoons of meringue powder
4 cups (about 1 lb.) confectioners’ sugar
3 Tablespoons warm water
- 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla (optional but I prefer it)
- Mix the meringue powder, powdered sugar, vanilla, and water together. Icing should come together and will be pretty thick.
- Add water tiny amounts at a time until you have the desired consistency.
- I have stopped outlining my cookies and use one icing to do everything to save time. I like my icing thick enough to stay on the cookie and prefer to shake the cookie to get the “flood” icing to fill it in. I outline and then immediately fill in the area with the same icing. I shake the cookie to get the icing to settle. Watch this video from Sweetopia and it will all make sense!
Have fun! It’s a process but worth it!