It’s easier than you might think to make your own pop tarts! We had so much fun making pop tarts today! So let’s go make some….
- You will need a disk of pie crust. You can buy the premade store bought kind or make your own. Today I cheated and used one I bought…typically I prefer to make my own pie crusts. I will share that recipe later!
- Lay the pie crust out flat on a sheet of parchment paper. Then fold it in half. Cut it into three or four pieces. Since you folded it in half, you will have twice as many pieces and they match! You should have three or four pop tarts with a top and a bottom. Make sense? You just need a matching top and bottom piece for each one.
- Now use desired filling on the bottom piece of pie crust. Be sure to leave a border so that the filling stays in when you pinch the seams together! You can fill with anything…jelly, jam, apple butter, chocolate, marshmallow creme, chocolate chips, peanut butter, etc! Endless possibilities really!
- Lay the top piece onto the bottom piece and pinch the seams together all the way around. Use a fork to give the decorative edge and make sure the seams are sealed.
- Use one egg yolk and a tablespoon of water to make an egg wash and lightly baste the pop tarts before baking.
- Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes.
- Once the pop tarts are cooled you can make a nice glaze if you would like.
- Use the egg white from the egg you used for the egg wash. Put it in your mixer with the whisk attachment and beat on high until it is frothy.
- Mix in a cup to a cup and a half of powdered sugar. More sugar=thicker consistency
- Mix in a teaspoon or two of vanilla…I like more vanilla here;)
- Put icing into a ziploc bag and squeeze onto pop tarts.
- You can add chocolate chips, sprinkles, or anything else to top it off!
* My kids loved making these today. They loved choosing their own filling and decorating the outsides too! Have fun!