Let’s just start by saying that you should only make this recipe if you plan to let yourself eat every last do-nut I love banana bread and this just takes it to another level. Imagine a slice of banana bread in the shape of a do-nut…only wait….cover it in an amazing glaze! It was hard not to eat the glaze directly from the bowl by the spoonful. Enough talking, let’s get to baking!
- ½ C butter
- ½ C vegetable oil (applesauce can be substituted)
- 3/4 C sugar
- 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites
- 2⅔ C flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 overripe bananas- add one at a time
Browned Butter Glaze:
- ¼ C butter, browned on stove
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp lowfat milk
- Beat butter, oil, and sugar in your mixer.
- Add in the eggs and egg whites and mix.
- Mix the flour and baking soda together in a separate bowl and then add it slowly into the egg mixture.
- Mix in the bananas one at a time until well blended.
- Pour into a well greased do-nut pan. Fill do-nut well about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
*Once you have baked all of the do-nuts, you can make the glaze. The glaze sets so quickly that you can’t make it until you are completely ready to use it.
- Brown the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat stirring constantly. When the butter turns brown in color and smells oh so good, remove it from the heat.
- Add in the powdered sugar and milk and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour over donuts. I tried dipping some but the icing is so hot that it is difficult.
- I found that this amount of icing covered half of the don-nuts and would probably double the amounts next time. However, I love icing and always want more!
*I found this recipe here and only changed a couple of things!