My mother in law taught me to make macaroni and cheese a long time ago…the fun part is that you can change it up to make it taste different each time you make it! I don’t really measure my ingredients at this point but I thought I would share how I make it!
- elbow noodles (a 1 lb box with fill a 9 x 13 pan)
- butter, 4-5 Tablespoons
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 blocks of cheese ( I use monterey jack, mild cheddar, and sharp cheddar) but you can use any good melting cheese you prefer.
- milk (about 1/2 cup)
- all purpose flour (2 Tablespoons)
- Boil the elbow noodles in salted water for six minutes. You want them a little under cooked.
- Drain the noodles and set aside.
- Use the same pan that you cooked the noodles in and melt about 4-5 Tablespoons of butter over low heat.
- Whisk in 2 Tablespoons of flour to the melted butter and continue stirring constantly for about one minute.
- Add in some milk…here’s where I don’t have an exact amount. I am guessing about 1/2 cup.
- Shred your cheeses and add a large handful of each one into the butter/milk mixture. Stir until the cheese is melted. You can turn up the heat a tiny bit if needed to melt the cheese.
- Now add in the noodles and stir.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Salt and pepper as desired.
- Top with additional shredded cheese if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until it is heated through.